Cuban tour guides and tour bus drivers depend upon tips and share them with their coworkers and family. They also contribute a hefty percentage of tips to the national health and education systems.
Hint Treat tipping in Cuba as you do at home. Be generous with those who assist.
Here’s the amount of tips most Americans give. You can always leave more.
- Tour guide 5.00 to 7.00 CUC per day per person.
- Tour bus driver 3.00 to 5.00 CUC per day per person.
- Tour restaurants staff 1.00 CUC or 10% per meal per person when NOT in group included meals.
- Hotel porters $1.00 per person or more if you have lots of luggage.
- Chambermaids 1.50 CUC per day per person.
- Museum guides and special guides 1.00 per person.
- Taxi drivers 10% of fare.
- Musicians at restaurants 1.00 CUC per person.
Cubans in the service industry need money the can spend on the things they really need. They already get a lot of leftover toothpaste, toiletries and other stuff.
However, if you make a special friend, then a nice gift is always appropriate, together with personal things you don’t need to take home. Click here for suggested donations and special gifts for your new island friends.