In Cuba from Thursday February 27th to Monday March 2, 2020
five days and four nights in the Pearl of the Caribbean
Single room supplement $0
Day 1 – Friday :: Say hello to Cuba!
Breakfast is served in your hotel.
We'll participate in an experiential culture exchange led by professor Alberto Faya. He's a musician and member of the National Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba [UNEAC]. His workshop is an open forum to explore Cuba's history, culture, afrocuban influences, and education system.
Arts and dining tour highlight. We’ll feast on a delicious lunch hosted by José Fúster, one of Cuba’s most important ceramists and painters, at his whimsical studio in Jaimanitas, just outside of Havana. Fúster is known as the Picasso of the Caribbean and his art is acclaimed internationally. His artistic mission has been the rehabilitation and decoration of the village of Jaimanitas where he lives. Fúster has decorated over 80 houses with ornate murals and domes to suit the personality of his neighbors. Nowadays, Fúster’s art is a cherished part of Cuban culture and joins the rank of other public artworks such as that of Gaudi in Barcelona or that of Brancusi in the Romanian city of Targu Jiu. He supports his community project through the sale of his paintings and ceramics.
Get ready for an American vintage cars tour of Havana. You will tour of the most important sites of Modern Havana such as the Capitol building, the Grand Theatre, Central Park and Prado promenade. Also, you will discover the Revolution Square, Coppelia Ice Cream Park, Plaza José Martí (in front of US Embassy), Malecón seawall, Monument to the Battleship Maine, and Hotel Nacional. You will come to know University of Havana, Cementerio de Cristóbal Colón, and the Miramar, Central Havana and Vedado neighborhoods.
Return to hotel to freshen up.
Farewell group dinner. In the heart of Vedado, set in an elegant mansion is one of Havana's best restaurants: El Atelier. Its menu changes daily at chef's discretion and availability of fresh produce. Aside from its selection of to-die-for dishes, and excellent service, the atmosphere is worth the visit if only for a cocktail. El Atelier has been among the city's best eateries for years with Cubans and foreign guests – one of who was Michele Obama and friends in 2016.
Optional evening entertainment. Shake your booty to the best Afrojazz, Cubajazz and Sonjazz at Club La Zorra y El Cuervo [The Fox and the Raven] featuring astonishing performances by island bands. It’s a popular haunt for Cubans and foreign guests. Not included in tour cost.
Day 2 – Saturday :: Old Havana and Hemingway’s house
Breakfast at our hotel is followed by packing and checking-out of your hotel for transfer to Havana’s José Martí International airport for your flight home.
Keep in touch with your new Cuban friends – exchange email addresses! Bring some business cards to pass out. Take pictures and keep a journal. Upon your return, we’ll post them on this website for all to see and enjoy.
We’ll miss you and hope you will return soon! In Cuba we say: A true friend remembers the song in your heart when you have forgotten the lyrics.
Day 3 – Sunday :: Education, the arts, and Afrocuban heritage
Day 4 – Monday :: Say goodbye to Cuba – for now
Included in Cuba tour package cost
- Global Relations Travel Club (GRTC) one-time membership fee is included with your tour. Membership is a requirement, by Rule, to participate in Global Relations (GR) tours.
- A Certificate of Legal Cuba Travel, per participant, in accordance with the US Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) section 31 C.F.R. § 515.572(a)(1).
- Your needed Cuban Visa is included and processing will be expedited.
- As a GRTC member we will make available a teleconference with those participating in the tour to go through the itinerary, answer questions and offer suggestions.
- You will receive a series of briefing e mails before departure to assist you in preparing for the trip.
- All taxes and amounts are quoted in US dollars.
- Fly to Cuba and you will be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel. On your last day of the tour the transfer to the Cuban airport is included.
- Airport departure tax from Cuba and the Cuban mandatory Emergency Insurance coverage during your island stay is covered in the cost of a U.S. carrier airfare.
- Hotel in Cuba as listed in your itinerary, or similar.
- Welcome cocktail.
- All breakfasts, lunches and dinners as per itinerary.
- All activities and services, as described in tour itinerary except those noted as “Optional” or “Not included.”
- Air-conditioned transportation and a Cuban professional driver dedicated to you.
- Cold bottled water on transport.
- An expert English-speaking Cuban guide who will also serve as interpreter.
- Gratuity for your Cuban tour guide, coach driver, chambermaids, restaurant staff, porters, etc. for group travel activities is included. Dollars will be converted into Cuban currency and distributed by a GR Team member on your behalf.
- A GR team member from the States will accompany your tour.
- You will receive ongoing travel support from the GR team before and after your stay.
- Emergency collect call access to the United States while in Cuba.
- Airfare is not included; you select your commercial flights and book them to and from Havana.
- Optional travel interruption and cancellation insurance. See http://globalrelations.ourcuba.com/insurance/